Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Living in the Village

This year, I along with 3 other people from our team, were given the opportunity to spend a couple nights living out in the village. Our village experience started out with a picnic with our students. It was great time of eating and playing games but I will note that Siberia is basically a giant swamp once all the snow melts and as a result the mosquitoes are absolutely horrible. Swarms of mosquitoes were everywhere and left me little option but to wear my long sleeve jacket with hood lest I be eaten alive. There are not words enough to describe how bad the mosquitoes were so I will leave it to your imagination. After the picnic we went to stay with our host Tatiana, one of the local teachers. I was extremely interested to see the inside of the wooden cabins the villagers lived in. Needless to say, the living conditions exceeded my expectations. Tatiana’s house was actually pretty comfortable with gas heating, electricity, and running water for everything but a toilet (a wooden outhouse was connected to her house by a small covered walkway). I asked her if her house was typical and she said it was not. More than half the village did not have running water and her street was the only one with gas heating, all the others used firewood. So my stay in the village was rather comfortable, which was both a relief and a disappointment as I am still curious to see the inside of the “typical” house out in the village.

No comments: