Sunday, October 7, 2012

Letter of the Week - E

I decided to do E for 2 weeks.  The first week we focused on Elephants.  Our first craft was an adaptation of several letter ideas that I found.  Frank has such a creative streak, sometimes I think he should be the pre-school teacher :)


We made the top of the E into the trunk, so it was longer and curved outward. The girls painted them gray, added the eye and ear, and then we danced them around to our Elephant Song. We also made a paper plate elephant ....
 
 
One of my favorite elephant crafts was the handprint elephant.  I had the girls cut the grass out first and then we mixed the paint and did our book time while it was drying and then glued on the ear and eye.

 
I honestly was not that overly excited about either of our books for elephants.  Our library didn't have most of the ones I was looking for so I guess I was lucky to find the ones I did :)  We read Babar's Counting Book and Elephants: A Book for Children.  The latter book was certainly informative and had great pictures but more words per page than really works for a 2 and 3 year old!  My plan was to go to the zoo and look at the elephants for family day but Frank ran in a triathlon Saturday morning and we decided it was way better to support him!
 
Now, onto eggs!
Our first egg craft was this lower case e in an egg.  Faith loves cutting so I had her cut the crack of the egg and then we put the craft together.









 
Next we made some Egg Carton Es


 
Rebekah and I hard boiled some eggs and then we had some egg races with Daddy one night in the evening.  Outside games are always a hit and this one was really fun for everybody (except Lady who was barred from eating the eggs!)

 
I have been saving my egg shells for the last 2 weeks in order to do this sensory craft.  I had them crack the shells with their hands and then we glued them to an egg.  The weather turned cold the night we did this activity, hence the knitted hats and shorts :)  The girls liked this activity certainly but it wasn't the same level of enthusiasm as some of the other sensory crafts we've done.  Perhaps if they were more into destruction it would have gone over with more exuberance but I'll take their mild manner void of the need to brake things :)


 
 One of the activities I had the girls do while they were watching each other at gymnastics this week was some egg letter matching.  Faith did really well with this but I think next time I will also use 2 egg cartons and put the letter at the bottom of each space so she has a specific place to put the now completed egg.
The last awesome egg activity we did was this naked egg experiment.  The girls were certainly intrigued by this and it will be a very cool thing to do when they are a little older as well.

Our egg books this week were Big Egg and First the Egg which both girls had memorized by the end of the week they loved it so much!



No comments: