Saturday, March 17, 2012

My First Car


Over the 2000 Christmas break my junior year at Tech, I finally had my parents convinced that I needed a car.  We found a 1997 black, manual, VW Jetta in Cedar City that was exactly what I wanted but was $3K over my price limit.  Fortunately, the check engine light came on during the test drive and the Ford dealership didn't have the needed tools to check the Jetta engine so they sold me the car at my offer under the condition that I would drive it to the nearest VW dealer (Las Vegas, also my home) and have the engine checked out.  They would pay for whatever needed to be fixed.  It was an oxygen sensor that just needed to be turned off but it got me the car. 
My parents were unwilling to let me drive the car the 3,000 miles back to VT alone so I called up my bud Frank who, having been relocated to southern Illinois during our freshmen year at Tech, knew no one there and consequently could have nothing better to do than deliver me and my new car safely to Virginia Tech in time for the spring semester.  Little did he know that this would be the best decision he ever made! 
This car has driven across the country 3 times, been plated in 4 different states, insured in 5, cost me an entire paycheck at least once, sat in traffic at the HRBT for approximately 1,000 hours, and overall been an awesome car.  It was mine before I was a Theising but as our family is continuing to grow, it was time to say good-bye and trade her in for the dreaded mini-van (which, alas, I am already in love with).  Thanks for being a great little car, Jetta.  

1 comment:

Maria Wegner said...

You got yourself a pretty good deal that time! It is good that you put effort in getting your car checked before purchasing it. Bringing it to a mechanic shop will help assure you that the vehicle is well-maintained and safe to drive. Also, getting your car checked will give you an idea of its true market value. In fact, you can possibly lower the price if you find some irregularities, like what you did.

(Maria Wegner )