Friday, May 11, 2012

Letter of the Week - P, Q, and R

Letter P
In addition to our Letter of the Week activities that I got from Confessions of a Homeschooler, for P this week we made pearl necklaces.  I bought craft beads, strung them and then dipped them in some white paint we had in the garage.  In the morning my knight in shining armor used his exato knife to make sure the holes in them were still open and the beads able to be threaded by a 3 year old.  The girls loved making and wearing these.  I accidentally left Faith's on when she took her nap that day!  The girls also had a great time making the letter with their bodies :)


Letter Q
Q was the first week that I didn't have to teach preschool as we have another addition to our little group.  We all wanted to continue with preschool only 2 days a week but with 3 teachers, I get a week off every once in a while.  Q seemed like a pretty good week to get off :)  I had some fun of my own on non-"school" days.  We did some Q-tip painting:


I glued some Q-tips onto the paper for display so the kids would remember what we used to paint the pictures.  I stole this idea from Enchanted Mommy a great blog for preschool ideas!


We glued fabric to our Qs in order to make a quilt.  Faith really wanted hers to look like the Sunbonnet Faiths that are on her big girl bed quilt from her Gran. 

We also did our first Family Fun Friday this week.  We made quesadillas for dinner and played a matching memory game after dinner.  Frank had court marshal duty all week but he made it home in time for the end of Family night, which is good as he is a big part of it :)

Letter R
For R, I used this opportunity to work on colors with Rebekah as well as the letter with Faith.  We made an R is for Red collage and then had a little scavenger hunt for red objects I'd placed around the room.  The girls really enjoyed that a lot.
I used the Confessions Rainbow material for the other things during the week, including upper and lower case matching which Faith really enjoyed.  She got the all the first 13 letters correct with a little help on L and I.
On our preschool day we made Rainbow Hands which looked really nice but it was rather hard because I was the only one cutting the hand prints out after tracing the kids' hands.  I had their R collage sheets (we used rice) and 2 worksheets on big vs. small (to correlate with our Bible story on David and Goliath).  Having the kids work on those while I cut out the hands worked out well.

For Family Fun Night Friday, the girls and I made ravioli (with my new ravioli maker!) and rice pudding.  Other meals during the week were red snapper and red beans with rice.  Oh, we also have a verse each week that corresponds to the letter we are working on.  This week was "Remember now thy creator in the days of thy youth" - Ecclesiastes 12:1.  All the verses are from the ABC Bible verse songs CD.  Faith knows them all by about the 2nd or 3rd day of the week.  It is amazing what songs can instill in a memory! 

No comments: