Monday, July 9, 2012

Letter of the Week - X

X is really hard and I love the Internet and all the work that other mommies have done before me!  Our first X craft was using painters' tape on easel paper for the girls to paint.  I reinforced the back of the paper with packing tape and that made it much easier to come off.  After naps when the paint was dry we removed the painters' tape for the girls to see their creations.

We played Tic-Tac-Toe on the blackboard and did our Letter of the Week activities, including a letter search.  I was so proud of Faith.  In addition to finding all the Xs within the sentence, she also found the one that the xylophone mallets make!

Outside I traced a giant X on the driveway and the girls colored it and then ran around on it, making sure not to go outside the lines.

Our last X craft was painting some cardboard Xs.  The girls had fun with this and I used it to help Faith see the different ways that X is used in words.


I found this Exciting X Poem and cut out a cardboard E and X and glued them to craft sticks to use as my visual and incorporated this into reading time.  The girls thought it was great!  Our other books were Zin! Zin! Zin! A Violin which has nothing to do with X but since we were using the Xylophone during worship and as our family fun night (which was playing the Roll a Xylophone game from Confessions) I decided that an orchestra introduction would be good.  Frank dusted off his trombone and I got out my flute and piccolo.  The girls loved this night and Rebekah mentioned it every time we read the Zin book.  An actual X book was My X, Y, Z Sound Box which I read only the X portion. 

No comments: