Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Faith August - 3.75 years

The biggest change for Faith this quarter is that she became a big sister, again!  She loves her new sister, Grace.  It is actually a challange to keep her away from Grace sometimes.  We have strict rules about not touching the baby while she in the bouncy seat or in the play gym but I try to make sure that Faith gets opportunities to hold her and we take time every day to talk to Grace and love on her.  Faith will make a wonderful mama someday and I want to cultivate that nurturing side of her!

Sleeping:
We continue with rest time, starting at 2:30 and continuing to 4 if she hasn't slept and 4:30 if she does fall asleep, although towards the end of this period, I have been waking her at 4 so she can have snack with her sister while I feed the baby.  Nighttime sleep continues to go well, although Rebekah does wake her at 0700 most days.  However, they enjoy laughing together early in the morning and that is fine with me :)
Eating:
Faith still enjoys all things carb (as do I!).  She eats well and usually eats evertything I put in front of her.  She was not a big fan of the kale I fried up one day; however she ate it in order to enjoy the rum cake for dessert.  She loves helping me cook and relishes the end of the task as much as the cooking itself becasue that is what I allow sample bites to be had.  I think she enjoys the savory bites as much as the sweet, perhaps just because they are special things. 
Skills:
Faith has learned to jump without looking at the floor :)  That has saved her nose a bit.  She won't jump off anything too high, really nothing much higher than my nursing stool but I know she will gain confidence as she does it more.  She continues to excel in gymnastics (although I asked her if she wanted to do dance or gymnastics when we move to AL and she said "dance!")  I think ballet will suit her personality better anyway.  She works on jumping at gymnastics as well as balance and bar work.
Her grandparents have a little razor scooter and that took about 5 minutes for her to learn to love!  For Christmas from them she received a balance bike.  After seeing my good friends' sons love their balance bike I knew these would go over really well at our house.  It took Faith about 10 days to really get the hang of it.  We took away all the other outside toys and required at least 10 minutes on her balance bike a day.  Now, we can't pry her off of it!  Once she got her feet off the ground the first time it took about 2 days for everything to click and now she flies on that bike with her feet on the center bar, doing turns like a pro!  I know she'll be ready for a 2 wheeler with pledals in no time!
Play:
Enjoys playing dress-up, not necessarily to pretend she is someone else but just for the joy of dressing up :)
Very much feels like she is in charge of her sister.  She routinely reminds Rebekah of things that I say so I try to remember that she is just imitating me, in her exaggerated way.  There is some bossiness with this but there is also a protective aspect to it; which I see when there are lots of other kids around.  She is very concerned that her sister not be exposed to unpleasantness, perhaps by some unruly (or what she considers too rough) boys.
From their other grandparents the girls got a kitchen for Christmas and Faith adors playing there and making food.  By far her favorite solo play toys right now are food toys.  She likes her sorting pie and dish set together.
Education:
Ordinal numbers
Faith knows her entire alphabet (upper and lower case) and the sounds that the consonants make (q and x are the exceptions).  She does pretty well with the vowel sound but it isn't consistant.  I have added station time into our preschool hour and during this time I am working through the K4 cirriculum.  I am starting to work on sight words with her.  On January 19th she identified her first word, God, in the Bible.  I showed it to her in our Moses and the King book several times and then she saw it in the Bible, I was so proud!  We also work on handwriting and she really loves that as well. 
Her love of reading continues!

No comments: