Sunday, June 3, 2012

Letter of the Week - U

I finished a raincoat for Faith the day after it rained 3 weeks ago but she obviously hasn't worn it.  I so wanted her to wear it in conjunction with our U week when we did umbrella so I planned our the schedule for that craft on the day with the highest chance of rain, which was Thursday.  I had all the stuff ready for it on Wednesday and it actually rained for about an hour that day but I pushed a head with the Underground craft anyway (which really was fun!).  First I did a learning activity where I drew shapes above and under a line on our easel and had the girls identify where the shapes were in relation to the line.  Then they got to participate and draw (all of Rebekah's drawings were under the line due to height!)
 Next we did an underground craft that I found on No Time for Flash Cards where the U is under ground (the grass being the ground)!  Faith really enjoyed this craft.  We then read Up Above and Down Below and this book was a huge hit!  Faith used it everyday during solo play to teach her dollies!


Well, since I'd saved my umbrella craft I was sure hoping for rain on Thursday.  That morning the chance of rain at 10am was 100%, I was so excited!  Well, needless to say, it didn't rain a drop!  So, rather than go for a walk in the rain, we put on our boots and raincoats and played with an umbrella in the sprinklers.  The girls still had a great time!
We went inside for the remained of our umbrella time and made a great craft from No Time for Flash Cards.  Faith really remembered the umbrella well all week and what it started with!  I cut cupcake liners in half and the girls dotted them with the do-a-dot markers.  We then attached pipe cleaners to the bottom to form the umbrella, which this was a great color exercise for Rebekah, and then the girls glued raindrops onto their picture as well.


Another umbrella craft that Faith did at Sabrina's was this U umbrella.  The girls were able to make it rain on their umbrella with some blue paint!  So creative :)


Another umbrella activity we did this week was a counting game from Confessions of a Homeschooler.  I used double sided tape to get the umbrellas and the numbers up there and Faith really enjoyed counting all the raindrops.  Our other U book this week was Floop's New Umbrella.
There aren't many foods that start with U so I kind of had the week off in that respect; although Frank told me to cook up some meat and call it unicorn!  For family night we went with cheeseburger and fries casserole which was actually pretty good and I knew the girls would like it :)  It was such a beautiful night that we set up the picnic table and ate outside with a game before and after dinner.  First we played "Up" with some balloons.  Rather traumatically all 3 of Faith's balloons popped in her face and she ended up not enjoying the game too much (but on a side note, I was so proud of her bravery in helping with the balloons for our neighbor's welcome home celebration after her year long deployment!). 

After dinner the girls decorated some U shapes that I had cut out of cardboard and then we tossed them into a box.  It was basically a pre-school version of horseshoes and went over really well.




No comments: